HISTORY & BACKGROUND

 

GFWC-Charlotte started as a Ladies’ Literary Club on November 19, 1887, at the home of Mrs. John T. Wilson, Margaret Elizabeth Anton Wilson with 42 members.   In 1895, the club was renamed the Charlotte Woman’s Club and joined the State Federation. By 1937 the club had 120 members and celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Our club originally met in homes and various churches and business meeting rooms.  In 1909-1914 Woman’s Club met in Parlor of the Masonic Temple for $1.50.  The Hotel Carnes Tavern, once located at 101 E. Lawrence, was the meeting place from 1938-1939.  The Club has met in many other locations over the years. Since 2015, most regular meetings have been held at the Eaton Area Senior Center..

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, a second objective of volunteering and service was added after the first objective of improving the individual woman. The General Federation of Women’s Clubs asked that the clubs rename themselves GFWC and their city for better recognition.  In the 1986-1987 club year, we became GFWC-Charlotte.

Our community involvement has included such things as organizing Mobile Meals, Inc. of Charlotte in 1971, placing defibrillators in the schools, and providing scholarships for graduates of Charlotte High School.  Our choir began in the living room of Linda Foster in 1975 and is still performing. The club has a long history of volunteering throughout the community and of donating to many civic projects.

Over the years of its existence, GFWC-Charlotte has responded to the interests of its members, the advancement of women, and the needs of the community with various projects.  What began as a literary group has grown into a powerful force of women volunteers for the community.

 

Click here to view GFWC - Charlotte Award Recipients

 

Click here to GFWC - Charlotte Past Presidents 1954-2022

Loading...
JOIN GFWC
Click to Visit GFWC Michigan State Site
Click to Visit GFWC National Site
Donate